Mikey Bashes a new PC

4 08 2007

I ended up taking a punt and purchasing an MSI 8600GT to go in my antec Fusion based HTPC. I’d been told that it should fit, but i was skeptical..

which was right, because it lacked about 10mm of clearance for the case to be able to shut properly.

I tested the case without it being completely shut, and found that temperatures were for the most part – fine. But it bugged me that i couldn’t close the case, that can’t be bad for the designed airflow inside the case.

So, I modified the lid so that it could be made to close Smile It was easier than i thought it’d be.

Tools :
Rubber Mallet
Wood Chisel (I used an Irwin Marples 19mm)
Length of ‘soft pine’ approx 150mm x 50mm x 500mm

I used a few sheets of paper to make a representation of where the MSI card would come into contact with the case, so that i would be able to make the ‘bump’ in the right spot.

I made the ‘bump’ in the block of pine, such that it would line up with the right side of the case and be flat against the metal risers. I’d push the metal into this bump.

I then tested my theory on a spare case that i was about to throw out. Using the mallet, it seemed not to have any effect, so i used a hammer – which turned out very ugly.

I tried again on another piece of case side, only using the mallet, and applying more force. This worked far better than the previous case, so i put this to ‘production’.

I marked the fusion’s lid with dots where the ‘bump’ was to go, measuring with sheets of paper (no ruler handy). I then marked the left and right edges of the case with dots, to show where the case should line up with the block of pine.

I then got malleting. It took me about 5-10 minutes, mainly *whack* check lineup and repeat. I wanted to make sure that i kept the metal steady, or i’d make no progress.

All up, it was a complete success. Cool

The thing that took the longest was me convincing myself that it was a good idea to take a rubber mallet to my new case.. but i figured that at worst, i could buy a new NSK2400 for ~130 to replace a lid that i’d mangled.

And now, the lid closes and i’m sure my chi has skyrocketed. Very Happy

edit: i’ve noticed in the second to last photo it looks as if the case doesn’t close properly, though i can assure you it does. Looks like an effect of the camera flash. Wierd one Smile




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: